The pallet rack is a material handling storage aid system designed to store materials on pallets. Although there are many varieties of pallet racks, all types allow for the storage of palletized materials in horizontal rows with multiple levels. Being the least expensive and cost increasing with storage density, pallet rack creates some level of increase storage density with the least dense. Forklift trucks are usually an integral part of any pallet rack system since they are usually required to place the loaded pallets onto the racks for storage. It is an essential and ubiquitous element in most modern warehouses, manufacturing facilities, retail centers, and other storage and distribution facilities.
Because of the size and weight of pallets, important safety factors have to be considered in choosing the pallet rack:
- Keep an eye on any loose components in the pallet rack system.
- Bear the following statement in mind!
“Never climb on racks during or after assembly. Storage racks are not designed to be stepped on or climbed on. A slip or fall may result in serious injury.”
- Use only quality pallets that are not damaged.
- Always ensure that the proper motorized equipment is being used for the application.
- Do not obstruct the end of aisles by staging pallets in these areas.
- Never overload or exceed the recommended load specifications for a racking system.
- Rack Audits should be performed on a regular basis by a qualified inspector.